When you think of Las Vegas, you probably don’t visualize a lush, spring-fed grassland, but Spanish explorers who named the area did. (Vegas means meadows in Spanish.) Today’s Las Vegas residents live in landscapes featuring more gravel, sand and cacti than grass—and comfortable Southern Nevada living depends on air conditioning to moderate triple-digit summer temps. A cool indoor climate comes at a cost—high utility bills—but you can keep them in check. Try these five easy strategies to manage the Vegas heat, keep energy use down and create your own home oasis.
5 Tips for Improving AC Efficiency & Comfort
Most newer Las Vegas homes are constructed with energy conservation in mind and feature insulation and sealed seams for minimal cooling loss. Sometimes, though, the heat of a Las Vegas summer can tax your AC’s performance. Follow these tips to keep your home cool, refreshing and productive.
- Shade your windows, especially those facing east and west. Window tints, cellular shades or insulated draperies keep the sun from heating up interior spaces. Awnings, patio covers and strategically placed landscaping create pleasant exterior seating areas and help keep interiors cool.
- Install a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat is ideal for people who are away from home during set periods of time throughout the week. Through proper use of pre-programmed settings, a programmable thermostat can save you about $180 every year in energy costs.
- Use ceiling fans to circulate the air inside your home. Make sure furnishings and accessories do not block free air circulation around AC vents. When you leave the room, turn fans off to save electricity.
- Tune up your HVAC equipment regularly. Just as a tune-up for your car can improve your gas mileage, a regularly scheduled tune-up of your heating and cooling system can improve efficiency and comfort.
- Add humidity with a whole house humidifier, which increases moisture to a more comfortable level. Houseplants and indoor fountains also add humidity while creating a refreshing “oasis” atmosphere inside your home.
Comfort Champion Care for Your Las Vegas AC
Las Vegas summers are tough on your AC, so don’t let delayed maintenance shorten the life of your investment. Century Air annual maintenance keeps your AC performing optimally, summer after summer. Our Comfort Champions clean and adjust mechanical and electronic systems to keep your air conditioner functioning at its most efficient—which saves you money and increases comfort. Call 702.620.4132 to schedule an appointment or contact the Comfort Champions online today!